Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Rekindling an Old Friendship: Not As Scary As I Thought

On Saturday night, we were privileged enough to be invited over to Chez Allen & Rob for dinner and catching up. It had been a good eight years since we'd visited with Allen, aside from the one evening last month when we stalked him, so there was definite potential for quite the awkward evening. However, our time spent ended up being quite the contrary, and we're both so insanely glad we went.

I've known Allen since my sophomore year of high school. We were both band geeks together. Alto sax band geeks, that is. Allen's quirky sense of humor and sweet disposition quickly made him one of my favorite people. I just don't think I would have made it through band without Allie Scallie eating my LipSmackers Kiwi lip gloss in pep band during the basketball games or giving me rides home after practice in his huge boat-of-car, belting along to the tunes of Culture Club. We remained close until sometime during my sophomore year at college. It was his freshman year, and I think between me being so wrapped up in Stephen, who had moved to Knoxville, and him being so wrapped up in the college experience, we just drifted apart. Thankfully, though, we've been given the opportunity to reunite, and hopefully we can maintain the friendship we started many years ago.

Also, Allen seriously makes the best chocolate cake I've ever tasted. If nothing else, that is all the motivation I need to keep this "friendship" thing alive from my end.

Thanks, Allen and Rob, for a great evening! You guys are the best hosts. Between the hospitality, the company, your cozy mod place, and the food, we were very tempted never to leave. I just hope when we have the honor of having you over for dinner, we don't offend you too much with our boorish ways. I'm sure the boxed Mac 'n' Cheese and corndogs we'll prepare for you will win your hearts over, though.

2 comments:

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 5/30/2007 9:34 PM  

So that's why you couldn't hang with me on Saturday...whatever, I'm telling you Kim, this whole having more than 1 friend is highly overrated!!

Unknown 5/30/2007 9:43 PM  

Look at Allen! Still the cutiest smile ever.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP