Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Sunday Night with Morrissey

It had been a long seven years.

The first time we had the pleasure of seeing Morrissey in concert was on Valentine's Day of 2000, when we had to drive all the way to Akron, OH, to see his charming ass. Of course we didn't mind doing so, but we were thrilled to find out this year he was going to be performing in our neck of the woods. I know he did it just for us, too - what a sweetheart.

Other than a few minor setbacks - such as the chubby drunk girls in front of us who (a) kept loudly shouting at each other during the show, (b) continually managed to plant themselves directly in my line of vision (I think we're all aware that I'm not the tallest girl on the block), and (c) not only kept showing us their buttcracks, as their pants were about two sizes too small and just barely covered their Netherregions, but also smelled like dirty buttcracks - the show on Sunday night was well worth the wait. He was very friendly and humorous, and surprisingly didn't throw out too many political stabs. We were a bit worried about the setlist because, to be honest, his last couple of albums aren't among our favorites and we figured he'd end up playing mostly new songs. Happily, though, he played a good mix of old and new, including some cherished gems from the days of The Smiths: The Queen Is Dead / First Of The Gang To Die / The Youngest Was The Most Loved / You Have Killed Me / Disappointed / Panic / Let Me Kiss You / I Just Want To See The Boy Happy / I Will See You In Far Off Places / The National Front Disco / At Last I Am Born / Irish Blood, English Heart / All You Need Is Me / I've Changed My Plea To Guilty / The Boy With The Thorn In His Side /Suedehead / Everyday Is Like Sunday / Ganglord / Life Is A Pigsty / How Soon Is Now? He wrapped the show up with an encore performance of "You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side." Personally, I think he could have picked a better encore song, but he closed with one of my personal favorites, "How Soon Is Now?" so I won't complain too much.

I think Stephen's favorite part of the night, other than just being in the presence of the buttcrack girls, was the little striptease Moz did for us. That's right: full upper body nudity, people. Too bad I couldn't find a picture online of it.

All in all, it was an incredible show. I just hope we won't have to wait another seven years before getting to see him again.

3 comments:

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 5/22/2007 8:40 PM  

I'm so glad you guys had a good time! I'm jealous!!!

Marmie 5/26/2007 3:06 PM  

Aren't you glad you didn't have to travel so far to see buttcrack?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP