Thursday, May 08, 2008

Food Is Apparently Good

Asher's appetite seems to be on the rise again. Lucky for him, he's now at the age where he can begin eating solids. We've been putting a few teaspoonfuls of rice cereal in his bottle for the past month, but hadn't tried feeding him thick cereal with a spoon, yet. This morning, Asher made it clear to his daddy that he's grasping this whole food concept when, sitting in his Bumbo seat, he managed to contort his body, reach way over, grab his bottle with both hands, drag it over to him, and start sucking on the nipple (see picture above). I'd read that one sign your baby is ready to begin eating solids is when he begins showing interest when his parents eat. Often, I end up eating while holding Asher and let me tell you: he's showing interest. He will sit there and stare as my spoon goes from my plate to my mouth, excitedly kick his legs and make noises while watching me eat, and will try to stick his hands in my food. If the little rascal is sneaky enough to get his hands in my food, he then likes to fling food off my plate. I guess if he's not allowed to eat it, I'm not allowed to eat it, either.

Knowing that his four month checkup is on Monday and that his doctor will probably give the OK to begin starting him on some soft foods, this evening I figured it would be a good idea to start introducing Asher to thick cereal with the help of Mr. Spoon. I was a little worried because I'd heard from several people that their babies didn't like eating at first and threw fits. Asher seemed a little puzzled during the first few bites, but after a couple of minutes he was opening his mouth the minute he saw the spoon heading toward him. By the end of the feeding, he was kicking his legs so excitedly I thought he was going to propel himself out of the buzzy seat and was squealing in such delight I worried he'd choke. He must have his mommy's appreciation of food.

Now we just have to prepare ourselves for even stinkier poop. Fun times. I know I'm excited.


4 comments:

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 5/09/2008 7:39 AM  

That first picture reminds me of me the last day of finals going for my beer! (: (Yea, it looks like he's doing great with the cereal...Whoo hoo Asher!)

Joe 5/09/2008 5:09 PM  

He sure has advanced in just one week. I feel I'm missing out, I haven't seen him since last Thursday. He's growing up before my eyes.

Marmie

Dawn 5/09/2008 10:09 PM  

It looks like he loved his cereal! Now you can start shoveling it in! :0

The Daily Squink 5/12/2008 7:34 AM  

Good job not screaming like a banshee, Asher! Unlike SOME babies I could name.

Don't worry about the stinky poop, Kim. It is kind of bad at first, but for better or worse, you end up getting used to it. Plus, it is just one more area of hilarity for you and Steve as you marvel over the amount of stink one little turd can produce.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP