Sunday, March 02, 2008

Two Months Old

It's really hard to believe our little Asher Bug is a whole two months old. As my mom has recently pointed out, he's quickly changing from a little newborn infant into a sweet roly poly baby. He's beginning to "talk" to us through cooing - which is, in our opinion, a very welcome addition to his crying-only vocabulary. He's already outgrowing many of his 0-3 month-sized clothes, especially his shirts and onesies. The other night I bought a storage container for his outgrown clothes and it kind of made me sad. On the one hand, I'm so excited that we're moving into the baby stage of his life, that he's growing so well, that I get to introduce new clothes into his wardrobe (because, you know, the most fun part of having a baby is dressing them up). On the other hand, and I know it's a terribly obvious and overstated fact of having kids, this time is passing so quickly! People have said that time seems to pass more quickly once you have kids. I don't necessarily think that's true - time has always seemed to fly to me - but kids definitely put a date stamp on your life. Asher's growth will be a constant reminder of exactly how much time has flown.

Things have gotten so much better, parently speaking, this month. Sure, I'm still exhausted, frumpy and grumpy, but I'm learning to deal with being that way better. I've also found better ways of releasing my aggression when Asher irritates me, too. Like, crying is too sloppy and I don't like showing my baby my weak side. So, I put the "handle" part of his Soothie pacifier in my mouth and bite down on it. Hard. I discovered this technique one day while he was screaming too much to keep it in his own mouth and, having only two hands, I stuck it in my own mouth. It's silly, but hey - it keeps me from biting the baby. And we all know that would be a very bad thing. Seriously, now that Asher is smiling and cooing and pouting (where he sticks his lower lip out - TOO FREAKIN' CUTE - maybe even cuter than his smiles, if the pout weren't followed with crying), I can better detect what kind of mood he's in and can better interact with him. And, because of this, I enjoy my time with him even more because I feel less stressed about what to do with him. I only have four more weeks left before I have to return to work and I'm absolutely dreading leaving him. I know he's just going to get even more sweet and precious over the next month and it's going to become even harder to go back to work.

The one thing I have learned about babies in my long two months experience at being a mother is that babies are consistently inconsistent. Never ever have I ever jinxed myself so many times as I have since Asher's been born. We can be in the car for a half an hour with Asher sleeping soundly in the back, and one of us will comment about how good he's being, how nice it is that he isn't crying the whole way like the last time we went out. And wouldn't you know it? Two seconds later (literally) he starts screaming. Asher is taking a nap and I put a tv dinner in the microwave for lunch. The microwave shuts off, I gleefully take out the dinner, and Asher begins crying. I post to my blog that Asher has been sleeping for six or seven hours straight at night. Two days later? He begins waking up every three hours during the night. Babies are so much more intelligent - and sly - than we give them credit for.

Tomorrow Asher has his two month checkup with the doctor. He's supposed to receive four shots and an oral vaccination and I am absolutely dreading it. I've read that his leg will probably be sore, and he might get a fever. Not to mention the fact that I have to watch them stick needles in my poor little guy's body and make him scream. Stephen may have to nurse us both back to health tomorrow evening. I've got a feeling I'm going to be an even bigger baby about the shots than Asher will be. I'll post an update regarding the checkup tomorrow and, in the meantime, here are some baby pics from the past month. Sorry I didn't post any for the first month, but we sadly lost our memory card that held all the photos from much of January.

2 comments:

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 3/03/2008 11:12 AM  

Why is it just looking at him I think, mmmmm I bet he smells good!

Dawn 3/03/2008 11:20 AM  

Don't worry about the shots. I'm sure it's different for every baby, but Em didn't mind them. She loved the oral vaccination and she smiled at the nurse after the shots in her legs! No fever or sore legs either!

I can't wait to hear how much he weighs now. He's becoming such a big boy!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP