Thursday, January 03, 2008

Baby Neener Has a New Name

We *think* we've decided on Baby Neener's official title. He shall be from here on out be called Asher Duncan Barr. We've had his name picked out for quite some time now, but have been struggling on the order of the names - whether he should be Asher Duncan or Duncan Asher. We decided that we'd wait and see when he came out which seemed more fitting and, although it was a very difficult decision as we liked both names a lot and both have very significant meanings to us, it was decided Asher suited him best. Asher was my maternal great-grandfather's name - a man I never had the privilege of knowing as he passed away when my mom was little, but was a man my mother dearly loved and was extremely close to. The name Asher is also a biblical name which means "happy and blessed." How could you go wrong with a name with such meaning? Duncan is Stephen's mother's maiden name and, bless her heart, she's been trying and trying for years to convince her children to name one of their sons Duncan. I hope she's not too disappointed in our decision which, as I stated, was extremely difficult to make.

As for an update on our new family (it seems so surreal to use that term), everyone seems to be doing pretty well. Asher attempted for quite some time to breastfeed, but they poor little guy was so pooped from the day that he'd latch on and suckle a few times and then would fall asleep. His blood sugar was 86 right after birth, but around midnight was only at 24. So, they had to give him a bottle, which quickly raised his level up to around 49. He was also very slightly under temperature, so they put him under a warming lamp. I hear from the nurses that he's doing really well and they're supposed to bring him back in to me shortly for more breastfeeding attempts. I have gotten a couple of hours of sleep in and have finally regained most of the feeling back in my legs. I'm still pretty numb in the waist area, though, but this is fine by me considering I had to have extensive repair "down there" from the labor and I know will be quite painful soon. Luckily they have my prescription for pain meds on hand so as soon as I start feeling any discomfort I can partake of the relief. Stephen ran home for a couple of hours to shower and feed the kitties and recently returned and is now slightly snoring in the chair next to me.

We are all so very tired and worn out from such a long day, but it's been beyond worth it.

Hopefully tomorrow Stephen can upload some photos of Asher, so stay tuned...

12 comments:

Anonymous,  1/03/2008 8:31 AM  

Congrats......Tell Asher that Blauntie says hello and sends kisses and love....

DeLisa

P.S. Kimber, good job pushing out an 8 pounder....You are a trooper.....

Dawn 1/03/2008 9:01 AM  

Emerson learned how to squeal this week so she is squealing with delight over the news about the arrival of Baby Asher!

Anonymous,  1/03/2008 9:21 AM  

Yeah! Let me know when I can come see baby Asher (: I work until 6:00 today or I can come visit when you guys are home!! Yeah!!

The Daily Squink 1/03/2008 10:21 AM  

I love the name! And it's nice that Duncan is still on the table for Jeff and I to use if we want. ;)

Will Clarion have a photo of Asher on their website or something?

Sarah 1/03/2008 10:23 AM  

Congratulations Kim & Stephen! Saw the picture on Kitty Cat Mews - what a sweetie! Great name, too. Can't wait to meet the little guy.

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 1/03/2008 10:34 AM  

Kim I'm so proud of you! I love his name! Try to rest up and make sure you take care of yourself while you're in the hospital! Tell daddy I said Congrats! I love you guys!!

Anonymous,  1/03/2008 4:42 PM  

Asher is a fine specimen of baby. His is really fantastic as it not only has my approval but all his grand-aunts. I'll be bringing "grandfather" up with me tonight. Love, Love, Love!!

Anonymous,  1/03/2008 4:43 PM  

His name is ....

Unknown 1/03/2008 5:26 PM  

I cannot wait to see this baby again. I'm smitten.

Anonymous,  1/04/2008 11:57 AM  

I heard you are leaving the hospital today...I am taking Wyatt to his Grammy's today so after that I will be childless and thus germless so maybe if you're not too overwhelmed I can come and see Asher?! I will have Adam call to check first! I am so excited I can hardly stand it!! Wyatt is also very excited and thinks he is the cutest!

Anonymous,  1/07/2008 9:51 PM  

Congrats on the little man!!! I love the name! Make sure that you two cherish every moment...they go by so quickly!! Van is already 13 months & walking, talking, and getting into everything!

Anonymous,  1/08/2008 9:26 PM  

Congrats on your "new addition", guys! He's so sweet-- enjoy the "quiet" days before he fully wakes up! Good luck with everything to come... it goes so quickly; savor every second.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP