Saturday, January 12, 2008

Asher's Four Talents

Being only a week and a half old, Asher isn't much more than an adorable, warm, squishy blob. I'm already beginning to feel inadequate as a mother in the respect that I just don't know exactly what to do with an adorable, warm, squishy blob. Do I play with him? If so, how? His eyesight is still very underdeveloped, as is his hearing. I put him in his swing or bouncy seat thinking maybe he'd enjoy some "alone" time away from my lap, but then I feel guilty for leaving him to be entertained by some contraption. However, when I hold him for long periods of time, I then feel as if I'm not stimulating him enough. Really - what do you do with a newborn?

I have discovered that Asher does enjoy doing four things, and seems to be doing them very well. He is an excellent sleeper. I think he loves sleeping more than I do, if that's possible. During the night, he'll often sleep 4-5 hours straight if I let him, and spends probably 75% of his time sleeping. He also loves to eat. He starts making his baby-bird-reaching-for-food faces every 1-4 hours and has been known to eat for up to an hour straight. (His first doctor's appointment is on Monday, and if I find out he's lost much weight since birth I'm going to be very distraught!) Asher takes pride in being a pooping machine, too. A few days ago, in fact, he already had his first "explosive" diaper in which he managed to fire up and out of his undies. I've always said there's nothing cuter than the feeling of little baby toots on your arm as you're holding them. Unfortunately, Asher doesn't seem to have cute little baby toots - his are LOUD and upon hearing them it's very evident he passed more than just a little gas. What I love is the way he scrunches his face up and makes "ugh, ugh, UGH!" noises prior to letting them fly. At least he usually gives a little forewarning. What I find most talented about him, though, is the wide array of facial expressions he's perfected already. Seen below is his Popeye impression and above is the face he often makes while poop-tooting (and, if you enlarge the photo you can see dried milk crust in the corner of his mouth - he's a very classy little fellow, indeed).

His mommy and daddy sure are proud of him.

4 comments:

Dawn 1/13/2008 9:07 AM  

He looks so tiny for an 8 pounder.

We didn't do much with Emerson at that age either. However, she seemed to like her swing.

Oh, just wait, the tooting will get even louder! Emerson has adult-like toots!

Anonymous,  1/13/2008 10:46 AM  

But he is so cute Kim! Thanks for letting me hold him all day yesterday! A special thanks to Stephen for putting up with our kids bouncing off his walls too! It was good to see everyone and finally meet Asher! Kim, you really are an excellent Mommy! Good Job guys!

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 1/13/2008 11:05 AM  

He's so darn awesome!! Let us know how the dr. appt. goes, and don't be surprise if he does loose a little, that's normal. Don't you wish someone would tell you how much a baby sleeps after they are born, I remember not knowing what to do with Sloan either, its like you wait 9 months and you're ready to play with them and you're right, they are a glob that sleeps! Like I've always said, enjoy every moment cause before long Asher will be playing in the kitty litter!!

The Daily Squink 1/15/2008 9:54 AM  

He looks like you in that first photo, Kim.

HAHAHA!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP