Saturday, October 18, 2008

Welcome, Mr. Chompers!

It's been a good two to three months since we noticed that Asher's gums were becoming bumpy. And just about every day since then, sometimes multiple times I day, I stick my grubby finger in his mouth to see if any of those bumps have turned into teeth, yet. I'd begun to think that maybe our boy just wasn't going to have any teeth. Maybe we'd have to get little baby dentures for him for Christmas, and Santa could leave a miniature-sized bottle of Efferdent in his stocking.

Alas, our amazing Christmas gift idea has been ruined. Last night on the way home from Marmie and Grandfather's house while Daddy was pumping gas into the car, I thought, what better way to pass the time than to jam my finger in Asher's mouth and explore? Much to my surprise, there was a spot on the left bottom gum that was no longer slimy and bumpy; instead, it was rough and sharp. Mr. Chompers #1 had finally broken through!

Of course, since then, I've only stuck my finger in his mouth about fifty times to feel the top of that tiny tooth. It's like it's the most amazing discovery ever made; I feel like an archeologist who just unearthed the buried ruins of an ancient city. And, as he was distracted by playing with a remote control, I was even able to wrestle his mouth open enough so I could see this wondrous tooth. It's so cute! I wish I could get a picture of it, but the combination of it just barely poking through and his being so squirmy makes that an impossibility. It will quickly grow, though, and then there will be a lifetime of pictures to take of him showing off his teeth.

Which means, this also marks the beginning of the end of his sweet, adorable, toothless baby grins. When you put it that way, it's kind of sad.

3 comments:

The Daily Squink 10/18/2008 11:28 AM  

Congratulations on the toofy, Asher.

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 10/18/2008 12:32 PM  

Your "baby" is looking more and more like a toddler everyday mamma Kim!

Marmie 10/18/2008 12:37 PM  

I thought I heard a clink sound on his spoon last night!!! But, I was afraid to look because I didn't want to be the first to find or see it.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP