Saturday, October 13, 2007

Her Baby Cousin

Ella is so excited about her baby cousin I think she can hardly stand it. Every time I see her, she asks me, "Aunt Kimmie, when is my baby cousin coming?" Or, when she's super excited, she'll leave the "cousin" out of it, so it's just her baby. And really, in her mind, I believe she does view this as her baby; you know, the ultimate gift her favorite aunt could ever give to her - a real, live baby that will grow into her very own personal playmate. I'm just that awesome, you know. So anyway, I question her in return, "Well, when did I tell you he'd be here?" Her eyes will brighten as the lightbulb flashes on in her head. "After Christmas!" "That's right," I reply. "Christmas has to happen first, and then you can start getting excited about the baby coming because it won't be long after that that I should have him." Of course, this occasionally leads to the exhausting discussion of when Christmas is - after Halloween, after her birthday, after Thanksgiving - but, typically it satisfies her impatience for at least a couple of hours.

Ella loves to inform me of what a wonderful big cousin she's going to be - actually, she's going to be such a wonderful cousin that she's stepping up her role a notch and proclaiming that she's going to be his big sister. I never correct her on this because I think she knows she won't technically be his big sister; I think this is just her way of letting us know what a close relationship she plans on having with Baby Neener. So, if she wants to be his honorary big sis, then more power to her. I think she must lie in bed at night reviewing her mental checklist of all the great accomplishments she wishes to pursue with her baby: reading to him, holding him, giving him his bottle, teaching him to ride a bike, playing in the pool with him, and teaching him to potty ("...and when he goes in his pants I'll say, 'ewww!'").

We visited with her last weekend, and now it seems she's taken the excitement over my pregnancy to the next level. As you can see from the picture below, she's pregnant, too. And apparently, she's much further along than I am, as her "belly" (comprised of a pillow that kept popping out from under her dress) greatly outshines my belly. My four year-old niece, pregnant. Her mother was so proud. I'm still waiting to learn when she'll allow me to come over and play with her daughter again.

I'm very relieved, though, that Ella is so excited over having another child enter the family. I was a little worried at first because Ella has literally been the center of the universe for all of us over the past four years, so I wasn't sure how she'd handle the news that someone new was going to come along and require attention that would normally be given to her. However, I've come to the realization that Ella lives in a world of adults - quite a boring world for a little kid - and craves companionship from a fellow youngster. Not to mention, she'll finally not be the youngest person in the family, which has quite a few perks of its own. Like, someone to blame your mischievous doings on and - FINALLY - someone other than Pa Pa whom you can boss around.

3 comments:

Marmie 10/13/2007 2:19 PM  

You guys should keep of log of all the cute things your children say and do for future reference. Don't say "Oh, I'll remember" because you won't remember EXACTLY!!

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 10/13/2007 3:35 PM  

Ella is just too freaking cute!!

The Daily Squink 10/16/2007 1:38 PM  

She is becoming quite a beautiful little girl, isn't she? Just make sure she doesn't become TOO aware of how cute she is - you don't want a spoiled princess on your hands!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP