Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"Cravings"

I've heard and read that many, if not most, women during their pregnancies experience food cravings. Now, I have yet to have any food cravings...there are foods that make me want to yak less than other foods, but that's a far cry from a craving, if you ask me. However, and I haven't heard or read anything on this, I swear I've been experiencing cravings that are non-food related. Is it possible to crave things other than food during pregnancy? Granted, I normally like these things, but in the past few weeks I've been pining away for them, even fantasizing about them. I can't attribute this sudden desire to anything other than me being pregnant. Anyone else experienced this in their pregnancy? Here are a few of the really strong ones:

* Bath & Body Works' Country Apple scented lotion. It reminds me of autumn and my freshman year at Purdue.

* 80's new wave music. In particular, I "just can't get enough" of early Depeche Mode, New Order, and The Cure. Also can't stop listening to Culture Club's "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" and Madonna's "Get Into the Groove" on my iPod.

* Autumn. I am DYING for October to get here...Sweater weather, the look and smell of changing leaves, pumpkins, corny kids' Halloween movies on Disney (because real horror movies are too scary for me), crisp cool sunny days, caramel apples, apple cider with cinnamon sprinkled on top, the sound of Stephen watching football on tv....If I could go to bed with a season, Fall would be rocking my world.

* Origins' Ginger Essence perfume. (A) I swear it's helped with my nausea, (B) in my mind, it's what autumn smells like, and (C) it reminds me of getting married (I think I first fell in love with this fragrance just a couple of weeks before we got married).

* 90's music that either was popular or that I listened to a lot when I was in high school/early college....Pearl Jam, Our Lady Peace, Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream" and "Mellon Collie..." albums, The Cardigans "First Band on the Moon" album, Gin Blossoms, Filter's "Hey Man, Nice Shot", The Cure's "Wish" album....Oh the memories, man....

* Having the windows open in the house, watching the curtains dance in the breeze, listening to the birds chirp and the neighbors' windchimes sing, or at night, listening to the crickets being all crickety.

* Being with my mom...I wish I could see her every day!

* Taking a relaxing weekend trip and staying at a bed & breakfast. I'd love to go to Charleston or Savannah, but with our newly reduced budget, maybe we could try Madison, IN, instead? My favorite mother-in-law had suggested this a long time ago, but we never went. I think we need a little babymoon or two!

Upon review of my list, I think I might have a slight obsession right now with autumn - like, a restraining order type of obsession. Moreover, I realize that all of these things bring me comfort in some way...From the obvious comfort of having my mom around, to certain songs or genres of music reminding me of comforting times in my past...Maybe this is my soul's way of trying to counteract all the freaking out that's been going on in my mind lately and bring me back down to reality. A reminder that everything will be okay, and that even when I think I'm losing my mind, I can still find relief and comfort in certain things that remind me of how good life is.

Or maybe, just maybe, and probably, this entire post is just an illustration that the emotional instabilities I've yet to experience (SHOCKINGLY) are starting to take over my mind.

You may need to excuse any posts I make in the next few months. Make that a year.

2 comments:

The Daily Squink 7/19/2007 10:42 AM  

I don't necessarily remember having any comfort-item cravings during my pregnancy. If anything, I distictly remember not wanting to listen to music AT ALL, which is very weird for me. In fact, it's been very hard for me to get back into the habit of listening to music, now that Rowan is here. So maybe SILENCE was my comfort item.

The fact that a ginger-based scent made your nausea feel better makes sense - I found this online: "Several studies have found that ginger is more effective than placebo in relieving nausea and vomiting associated with pregnancy." Maybe you should buy some ginger snaps for snacking!

Marmie 7/24/2007 2:51 PM  

How about watching a lot of good
OLD movies. I could make a list for you.











o

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP