Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Dark Clouds Looming Ahead

I'm afraid Asher may be entering a new phase in his life. The one in which he tries to murder his mother with no hands, no weapons, only his button-pressing skills that, if he masters it perfectly, could cause a horrible stroke or heart attack in an instant.

Yes, the terrible two's are upon us. And I am nowhere near prepared.

The tantrums are increasing on what seems to be almost a daily basis. It's not uncommon for me to turn a sippy cup right-side up or tear a bagel into two pieces and end up with a screaming toddler lying face down on the floor screaming. Brushing his teeth is a nightmare half the time. Heaven forbid I read a magazine while sitting on the floor next to the tub during his bathtime. Heaven forbid I fold laundry or run the vacuum or dust or BREATHE without first consulting Master Asher Barr. The most common trigger for his tantrums, however, seem to stem from his own frustrations - not being able to get the right shape into the sorter, not being able to get a door opened, not being able to get a bottle of bleach opened with his teeth...

This is an incredibly fun stage, don't get me wrong - the increase of vocabulary and comprehension and sense of humor and affection are all so wonderful and I can't even begin to imagine why when he was a little baby I was so sad about him getting older because I LOVE this kid he's turned into so much! But wow...I'm sure things are only going to get worse before they get better. It's bad when the grandparents - the doting, wrapped-around-his-finger-so-tightly grandparents - are noticing his change of behavior. My mother actually almost scolded him at dinner the other night, and Grandfather doesn't want to watch him this week because he has been such a fussy boy the past few times he's been down there.

I am praying this is just a phase. I hope to God my mother isn't getting her wish that I've born a child with my temperament.

3 comments:

Dawn 7/23/2009 8:46 AM  

Hopefully, Asher's tantrum phase won't last long. My friends with boys don't seem to have problems with tantrums, but little boys sure get into everything!

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 7/25/2009 12:52 PM  

I often think our parents are laughing at us while we raise our children!

Marmie 7/25/2009 5:06 PM  

Grandfather and I really laughed at this one!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP