Monday, June 15, 2009

A Goodbye Letter

My Dearest Twenties,

Well, here we are. The end of our journey together. I hoped one day we'd reach this point - after all, I knew if we didn't, that would only be because I was dead. But I never imagined how quickly the ending would come. Like a good book, you want to reach the end, but at the same time, you want to hold on and savor every page of that story. At least with a good book, though, you don't gain gray hairs or wrinkles, or find that your boobs hang just a little lower at the end.

You gave me a lot of special memories that I'll cherish my whole lifetime: college graduation, marriage, getting the first pet of my very own, gaining nieces and nephews, buying my first house, having my first child. We had our share of heartache along the way, too: losing a beloved grandmother, losing a beloved first pet, losing a couple of childhood pets, financial struggles, losing our first home. We've made dear friends along the way, people who have helped us reach this point, people who have pulled me off the roof of the building just as I was about to jump. We successfully grew out of those teenage years and attitude and realized how important family truly is. You've taught me responsibility, patience, and forgiveness.

I'm sad to see you go, it's true - it's kind of scary leaving the comfort zone of that young adult stage - but I'm hopeful that my thirties will hold good things for me. I'm hopeful that I'll have the chance to write a goodbye letter to my thirties one day, too, but I'm going to savor each day, one at a time, and try to make the decade last as long as possible.

P.S. I am willing to let you keep the gray hairs that have started to sprout, if you will let me keep my twenty-something boobs.

3 comments:

Unknown 6/16/2009 1:11 AM  

I was listening to The Smiths – Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me while I read your post and it added a little bit of desperate drama. Awesome!

Welcome to the 30's. We are much better for having you.

The Daily Squink 6/17/2009 3:13 PM  

Yeah, 30s are GREAT! I've had some of my best years since I've turned 30. Seriously. It's like all of a sudden, you're a grown-up!

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 6/21/2009 8:48 PM  

I agree with Angela, I love my 30s, in fact I'm stopping in my 30's! (: If I had to re-live any of my life it would be my 30's, couldn't pay me to go back to my 20's! It seems like life has fallen into place these last 9 years! Enjoy the ride!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP