Tuesday, February 05, 2008

What We Crave

Ah...sleep deprivation. It's no secret that it comes with the territory of having children, but of course, as usual, I'd underestimated the toll it'd have on us. I find myself falling asleep while pumping, while feeding Asher, while trying to get Asher to fall asleep, while "playing" with Asher (as much as you can play with a one-month old), and...well, that's pretty much all I do these days, but I'm sure if I had the time to read or watch tv or BREATHE I'd probably fall asleep doing those things, too.

Our conversations - what few we have the energy to have - are mumbled, jumbled, and highly unintelligent. Stephen can't put his thoughts into words and gets his facts mixed up. I no longer find myself telling him I'm uninterested in his banter regarding the latest shopping center construction in Noblesville; now, I find myself hoping he'll go into his rambles so I can take a mental snooze. In other words, my ability to listen no longer exists - it puts me to sleep.

I've heard from EVERYONE that the lack of sleep won't get much better for at least another 18 years - when Asher goes to college. I don't know about that; I spent five years at college and with that experience I think I'll sleep even less at that point, knowing what he's probably up to.

Luckily, I'm too tired to worry about the future. I think I'm going to go take a nap.

2 comments:

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 2/05/2008 2:31 PM  

Those are great pictures!! Yea, what's sleep? Once they start school, you're up Monday-Friday by 6 a.m and then on the weekends you're up early to take them to volleyball (or whatever activity they are currently bitching about going to!) So right now you're missing out on sleep, next phase is being a taxicab! Of course if you need a nap I would be more then happy to make a trip to the northside!!!

Dawn 2/05/2008 3:59 PM  

Enjoy the cat naps while you can. I get less sleep now than I did a few months ago!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP