Thursday, December 27, 2007

Baby Continues to Grow Like a Weed

This morning we had our last prenatal doctor's appointment. My doctor is on vacation, so we met with the nurse practitioner - the same one we met with on our very first prenatal exam. Strange - I felt more informed from this one appointment with her than I have from all of the exams with my doctor combined. She actually initiated conversation with us, was honest without being scary (she didn't once refer to vaginal "blow out"), and was gentle. If I had the money, I'd send her back to medical school just so she could serve as my doctor.

We're still on track for me to be induced next week. The nurse stated I'm over 50% effaced and about one centimeter dilated. She educatedly guessed the baby currently weighs about 8 1/2 pounds - so we're looking at an approximate nine-pounder next week. She also stated that there's still chance that I could go into labor before I'm induced. (Not to get anyone's hopes up, though - personally, I think Baby Neener is in no hurry to exit his apparent luxurious incubation lodge.) She asked if I plan on having an epidural to which I meekly replied, "Um...I think so." (Duh.) She said she's a "leftover hippie" who had her children through natural childbirth because the narcotics they used to administer in childbirth would pass the placental barrier and get into the baby's bloodstream - therefore, drugging the baby. However, something I didn't know, epidurals apparently do not work that way and don't affect the baby at all. She reassured me further by telling me that being induced is far from natural and, therefore, will be much more painful and said if she had to be induced, she would definitely opt for having an epidural prior to the induction. So, this doctor's visit, if nothing else, made me feel much better about my decision to use drugs. Labor drugs, at least.

I also scheduled my post-partum exam for the middle of February. For some reason, doing this sort of made me feel like I was sealing the deal in having this kid next week. I guess there's no turning back now...there's a doctor's appointment scheduled and canceling it would be such a pain in the ass.

3 comments:

Anonymous,  12/28/2007 8:16 AM  

Kim, when I was induced, they gave me pitocin and magnesium sulfate (which they had to do because I had preeclampsia). Definitely take the epidural within an hour of them starting the IV....I waited 8 hours and the labor was VERY painful!!! The first hour was okay, but then the contractions got stronger and by hour 8 I said screw this natural crap, give me some drugs!!!! You'll do fine, but I hope you go into labor before being induced!!! Heidi

Anonymous,  12/31/2007 8:44 PM  

I remember telling the doctor that I didn't want to go through with the birth anymore. He just laughed and asked how we could "undo it" at that point.

Melissa 1/01/2008 9:54 PM  

Good luck, Kim! I've been following your pregnancy and it's hard to believe the big day is almost here (I know, easy for me to say...). Can't wait for the next updates!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP