Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Climbing the Rickety Ladder of Success

Today when I returned to work from lunch, I was called into my boss' office to meet with him and my office manager.

"Oh great," I said as I shut the door behind me. "Am I being fired? And is it because I've gotten so fat? Because I could really use a nice-sized settlement check from the company over a discrimination lawsuit."

"No, Kim. We actually have good news. We've pushed and pushed for this, and Region has finally given in. We're giving you a promotion." And then they both went on and on telling me how wonderful and invaluable I am.

And I was like, "Thanks...Yeah, I know."

All of the positions in the company are tiered - so two people could hold the same position, but be at different levels within that position. I guess it's a way for them to make us feel as if we have real potential to move up within the office when, in fact, we really don't. So now I'm no longer a lowly Legal Secretary I. I'm a bigshot Legal Secretary II. The power I feel is overwhelming. I can't wait to get that extra - what? - $2.50 per paycheck. We're raking in the big bucks now, and I know it's just a matter of time before I'm president of the company.

7 comments:

Joe 11/14/2007 8:51 PM  

All good things come in 3s!!! Steve is next.

Joe 11/14/2007 8:51 PM  

that's really me (marmie)

Dawn 11/15/2007 8:49 AM  

Congrats! I bet you can't wait to change your signature block! :)

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 11/15/2007 10:08 AM  

Ohh how exciting! Maybe you can find someone in the office who is also is a level II and they can help you with that big signature block change and mentor you with the challenges and perks that being a level II brings!! (:

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home 11/15/2007 10:10 AM  

Obviously I can't help, I can't seem to write a correct sentence in my comments! Oopsie!!

Jeff 11/15/2007 9:12 PM  

Maybe they promoted you because you got so fat?

Anonymous,  11/18/2007 8:17 PM  

Congrats on the promotion Kimmy (: I'm sure you are thrilled!! Maybe this will entise you to stay at good old LM for a few more years (: HA!! Just kidding, I really hope you don't have to do that (:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP