Monday, September 24, 2007

Word from the Doctor: You Could Break Your Placenta Doing That

This morning we had our fifth doctor's appointment. Other than getting to hear Baby Neener's heartbeat again, the visit was pretty dull and uneventful.

Well, scratch that - I did learn something new. I told my doctor about the unfortunate tumble I took last weekend because the right piece of my "landing gear" is still a little tender. I figured it was fine, but it was the only thing I could think of talking about when the doctor does her usual pressing us to ask her questions or discuss things. I always feel like I'm a bad, uncaring mother when we go in there and never have hardly any questions for the doctor, but with all of the pregnancy books, the internet, and friends and family members who have recently been pregnant, most of my questions or concerns get answered prior to my doctor's visits. But, I want her to feel like she's important, so I try to come up with a couple of random things to discuss. This time I chose my sore boob. She reassured me and stated she highly doubts I've broken any milk ducts. However, shame on me, I should have called them after I fell and if I ever fall again I had better inform them right away in case they need me to go to the hospital for a few hours of monitoring. I replied that I would have had I landed on my stomach. She informed me that it doesn't matter - even if I don't land on the baby, even if I land on my butt, the fall could jolt my uterus and cause bad things to happen, like make the placenta rip away. Luckily, she said if everything has been fine this past week and the baby's been active (oh God has he been active), then I didn't do any damage because there would have been signs by now if I had. WELL THANKS FOR TELLING ME NOW! Maybe it should have been common sense for me to call in, but honestly, if I didn't land on my stomach, how was I to know I still could have harmed the baby? Shouldn't they have instructed me at the first appointment that if I fall, no matter how slightly, that I should call them because I could do damage without knowing it? I mean, wasn't the "clueless" sign I had written all over my forehead noticeable enough?

I'm not bitter or anything. And I don't feel like a moron. Or a bad mother. Really, I don't. Not at all.

Aside from that, everything appears to be fine. I've put on another five pounds over the past month, which brings me up to a total weight gain of a whopping seven pounds (I'd lost three in the beginning, but I'm up ten from that point). The baby's heartbeat was normal and stronger than last time - the nurse didn't have to search for it at all like they have had to in the past. Next month I will have what will hopefully be my last batch of bloodwork when they do the glucose screening test. And then, after the next visit, I'll start going in to see the doctor every two weeks instead of every four. The last trimester is quickly approaching!

3 comments:

Marmie 9/24/2007 9:19 PM  

This is typical. I didn't have any questions with Adam, everything I went through, I thought was normal. But when I carried Angela??? Everything was different and, I thought, abnormal. Sooooo, I had scads of questions. Same will go after the baby is born, you'll have more questions with the second one!!!

The Daily Squink 9/25/2007 2:24 PM  

I didn't know that about the placenta ripping away if you fell! AAAACK! They never told me that either.

That photo is funny.

Anonymous,  9/30/2007 10:13 AM  

Why is it that doctors MUST scare first time mommies? Quacks! I am so glad that you and baby are doing good! Whew!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP